The Redcar Bears Promotion would like to reassure fans that they still hope to run speedway in 2020, but insist that there is a lot to consider before making a decision.
Last week, Championship club Glasgow stated that they had withdrawn from the league with concerns in relation to safety, the ability to social distance within their stadium and also the likelihood of reduced crowd numbers having a huge financial impact.
Promoter Jitendra Duffill stated, “We are constantly monitoring the current situation and feel no urgency to make a decision at this point in time. We have spoken to all of our riders and keep in touch on a regular basis. Though frustrated, they are all happy to wait and understand the complexity of our circumstances. We feel it is best and no harm to wait a little longer, as nobody knows for certain exactly what is going to happen over the coming weeks.”
“We completely respect Glasgow’s decision to withdraw from the league, whatever that may look like, when things get underway. We understand their reasons and share concerns with regards to safety and financial uncertainty. There will be a lot of risk taken by any clubs who decide to run this year, but there is a lot of will to do so.”
Duffill added, “Every club’s situation is different, as some stadiums will allow social distancing with ease, whereas others pose more of a problem. I’ve spoken several times to my fellow promoters, Jade (Mudgway) and Jamie (Swales), as well as our directors to share our thoughts. We all remain dedicated to getting the Bears back on track, but only when and if it is safe to do so. The well-being of our riders, staff and supporters remain our top priority, so we will continue to monitor things closely. At this point, it is highly unlikely any spectated events will be able to happen for at least another 7 to 8 weeks.”
“I’d like to thank our supporters for their patience and understanding. We share your frustration and send our best wishes to everybody. We haven’t forgotten about our season ticket holders either. I’m extremely grateful for your support and we have every intention of refunding you if we cannot stage any speedway at the Media Prima Arena this year; there will be no arguments there. Some have already told us they would be happy to roll their tickets over to next year which is extremely kind gesture.”
“We made a statement a few weeks back informing season ticket holders that everybody would be refunded on a per meeting basis if our season starts and that promise still stands. We want to work with our supporters and if you wish to contact us, I promise that your situation will be understood and there will be no arguments with whatever request you have.”
Duffill also confirmed that he has contacted all of the club’s major sponsors, all 7 of which have pledged their ongoing support in 2021. He explained, “It was important for us to get the thoughts of our partners, because their businesses, like many others, are likely to have been affected by Covid-19. That was a huge concern for us as their support is of monumental importance to our club. I have been blown away by their responses; every one of them have pledged their continued backing next year. We are extremely fortunate to have them on our side and they deserve huge credit for their commitment to our club. It would have been very easy for them to withdraw their backing and everybody would have understood fully.”
“So a huge thanks go out to Mike Pugsley from Agilia Infrastructure Partners, Sue Johnson from Town & City management, Graham Abel from Hartburn Garage, Shaun Burke from SG Petch Middlesbrough, Shaun Hughes from Erimus Insurance Brokers, Keith Miller from ECCO Finishing Supplies and Graeme Wilson from Media Prima.”
Duffill finished by thanking all other club sponsors for their support; “It’s important to remember all of our backers and I’d like to thank everybody who has offered sponsorship in 2020, from programme and heat sponsors to those who sponsor air fence banners. You are all at the forefront of our thoughts and we will be in touch with you all in due course. Like our season ticket holders, we intend to refund anybody who wants it if we cannot run or will roll their sponsorship over to 2021 if preferred. Again, I’m hugely thankful for your support and understanding and we will work with you and your needs.”
We would like to reassure supporters that we will update you as and when we have more information. British Speedway Promoters Ltd continue to stay positive and will make another assessment of the situation when the government give us more information in early July. We hope to have a clearer view of the situation then. In the meantime, please take all necessary precautions needed to keep yourselves and others safe.
Supporters or sponsors wishing to contact the promotion can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org